Good morning lovelies! Today we have a wonderfully comforting recipe to share with you all…breakfast quinoa! For those of you who haven’t tried quinoa, it’s grain-like in texture and taste, but is actually a seed that is full of nutrients. For those of you who have tried quinoa but usually eat it in savory dishes, you must make this! It is a warm-your-soul kind of meal and is our top pick for a surprise breakfast in bed or a Mother’s Day Brunch.
Sweet and Cinnamony Breakfast Quinoa (serves 4-6)
- I cp quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cps non-dairy milk (we used unsweetened vanilla flax milk)
- 1/2 cp water
- 4 tb maple syrup
- 1 tart/sweet apple, chopped (we used Gala)
- 1/2 cp raisins
- 1/3 cp walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 ts cinnamon
- dash of salt
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, toast the quinoa and the cinnamon until the quinoa changes slightly in color and the cinnamon becomes fragrant, about 3 minutes (it should look similar to the picture below). Keep an eye on it and stir often!
2. Add milk, water, 3 tb maple syrup, and a dash of salt (to bring out all of the flavors). Bring to a simmer and cover the saucepan.
3. Reduce heat to low/medium-low (same setting on your stovetop that you would normally cook rice with) and cook for 20 minutes. At this point, most, if not all, of your liquid should be absorbed by the quinoa.
4. Remove saucepan from the burner and mix in chopped apple, raisins, toasted nuts and the remaining 1 tb of maple syrup. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Garnish with extra sliced apple, raisins, nuts, and a light drizzle of maple syrup to make it extra special!
Happy early Mother’s Day to all of you beautiful ladies out there! xoxo